slightly unravelled

Monday, June 26, 2006

Evening Sweater

A world full of pencil skirts and full twirly skirts emphasizing narrow waists; party dresses with halter necks and crinoline; cute little form-fitting short-sleeved sweaters; dates to the soda fountain; and my world (or at least my kitchen) decked out in red, yellow, and seafoam-green aluminum, Formica, and plastic...

Well, at least I can have the sweater!


It's this "“evening sweater"” from this 1959 pattern. It has a great V in the back, and I have no idea what the front neckline is to look like --I guess I'’ll figure it out as I'm knitting it and adjust as necessary. I'm using double-stranded Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud (yes, it's been re-allocated from this misshapen thing. I decided that it's not worth the effort to try to fix that wrap, and I can knit a prettier one than I can crochet, anyway). I'’m using size 3 needles, so it will probably take me forever to complete. And hopefully it will fit my sans-girdle waist.

I've been buying vintage patterns lately. I don't know if I'’ll ever do much with any of them, largely because they use such small needles and may end up fitting weird, but it'’s plenty of fun just looking at them and being inspired. Here are a few that I'm particularly excited about. Click for bigger pics and descriptions.



2006-06-24 006 2006-06-24 007 2006-06-24 009 2006-06-24 010 2006-06-24 013