slightly unravelled

Monday, May 29, 2006

Fun with Cables

I've started my first project with cables. When I made the first cable, my initial impression was: cute!
But then I realized what a pain it is to do so many of them! By the time I got to the second cable round, I was incentivized to learn to cable without a cable needle. Much faster.



I am making this tank top from a pattern in a Filatura Di Crosa ad in the Spring/Summer Vogue Knitting. It took me awhile to decide if the pattern had potential or not. Initially, I was distracted by the fact that the neck-line is so sparse that if the model were to twist a half-inch or so, I think her nipple would be exposed. Once I got past that (it took awhile), I was still having trouble because they are showing the top made with really ugly yarn, so it was hard to even see past that to the actual design of the top.



I decided to give it a chance, but it's going to need a lot of modifications. I was worried that adding bulk with cables all the way around my torso would be very unflattering. But my cables are turning out really flat (I'm using soysilk), so it might be okay.

I'm going to have to do a lot of experimentation with the top of it to make sure that I can wear it without having to rely on double-stick tape to make sure I stay covered! I am planning a couple of other changes too....the whole thing is pretty experimental, so it seems highly likely to end up as a complete loser. Oh well, I love knitting with the soysilk, so I'll just unravel and use it for something else...

2 Comments:

  • Wow...that is some downright ugly yarn. :( But she looks really happy to be wearing it.

    Maybe you could bring the neckline up a bit? That really does look a bit daring, but I'm not sure the model even noticed since she barely seems to have a chest.

    By Blogger Shadkitty, at 5/31/2006 11:25 AM  

  • I think that's going to make a lovely top (with mods, as you said). What's the soy silk like to knit with, it looks so soft and silky.

    By Blogger schrodinger, at 6/03/2006 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home