slightly unravelled

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Slate Gray Tank



I made this cute tank top with Blue Sky cotton. It took just slightly over 2 skeins.

It was really simple to make, but it took me awhile because I kept changing my mind on what I wanted, so I ripped and re-knit several times. I was originally planning to make something very similar to Glampyre's tubular camisole. I realized I wanted ribbing at the bust though, kind of mimicking a wonderful tank top I have with smocking at the bust (it's been worn a lot and is on its last legs...that smocking really gets stretched out over time). This was originally going to be fitted at the bust with the ribbing, then very loose and flowy throughout the torso. It was a little too maternity-ish for me, though, so I decided to give it a fitted shape. And the last remaining feature I was going to incorporate from the tubular camisole -- the pattern of yarn overs -- was quickly discarded once I thought about it more and realized that I didn't want that at all. I put a little bit of ribbing at the bottom to keep it from rolling.

So here it is. I love the way it fits (I tried on as I went along), and it's very comfortable. The strap length seems perfect: not too tight, but no danger of the top slipping too low.

My only complaint is about the yarn. I love the Blue Sky cotton; it's very soft and comes in really pretty colors. But, it's too big of a yarn for a little summer tank top. I kind of knew this when I bought it, but I wanted to use organic cotton, and this is the only organic cotton I could find that comes in dyed colors (imagine how I would look in "oatmeal" -- ick!). The fabric would have a more appropriate drape with smaller yarn on smaller needles, but I'm still happy with this one for a first attempt.



I feel like having a picnic just to make the tank top happy. Maybe I should take it on a stroll in Central Park. Or Sunday brunch?

2 Comments:

  • I think the tank topy looks great. Sorry the yarn is not exactly summery, maybe it's time to take up dyeing yarn so you can turn that oatmeal into something more tasty.

    By Blogger schrodinger, at 5/25/2006 9:47 PM  

  • Ooo that's so cute! Too bad about the yarn...I did something similar, but I wear it anyway.

    By Blogger Shadkitty, at 5/27/2006 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home