slightly unravelled

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Blue Soup


Finally! My hourglass sweater is finished. I'm calling it Blue Soup because the blue bamboo yarn reminds me of the blue string Bridget Jones used to make the blue soup...one of the few things I liked in that movie.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I like the way it fits, and I'm glad I added a bit of length to the sweater and made the sleeves a little shorter. I think the pattern was a good one for me because it was easy enough for my skill level, but included new things to learn as I made it...this was my first project on circular needles, first raglan shaping, first sleeves. Really though, it didn't take me long to get bored with the endless stockinette stitch. And I don't like the bar increases because I think they're too visible. If I were to make another (which I won't!), I would use a different increase.

About the yarn: it's SWTC bamboo (color Electric Blue), and it gave me a lot of frustration. Each ball had several breaks in the yarn, so I ended up weaving in way more ends than I would have liked. There were also just some weak spots where it broke. And that stuff tangles if you just look at it wrong! It also doesn't knit up as soft as I'd thought, but I've read that it gets much softer with washing.
Oh, but this all doesn't mean that I won't be using the SWTC bamboo again...I've been considering it for an (eventual) Orangina. Maybe the new softer formulation of the yarn?

Alright, I know what you want to see. Click on the images for bigger pictures.
Print them out.
Post them on your wall.
Carry them in your wallet.
Swap them with your friends.


2006-04-22 018 2006-04-22 015 2006-04-22 014 2006-04-22 009 2006-04-22 016 2006-04-22 007 2006-04-22 029

While you're enjoying the pictures, I'll be unravelling a week's worth of work on my new project because I just tried it on and it's way too big.

4 Comments:

  • the new formulation of bamboo is fan-tastic, in my opinion. not at all rough or scratchy! i bought some a while back for orangina, too, but haven't made it yet.

    nice hourglass, btw! it fits you perfectly, and your neckline seems to address the typical hourglass-neckline issues well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/23/2006 12:43 PM  

  • It looks great. The neckline and the fit in the trunk and shoulders stand out. The photo quality is great too. That last pic is especially fetching.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2006 3:01 PM  

  • Nice sweater & a lovely color, too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2006 9:08 PM  

  • Thanks everyone. I think you could tell from the look on my face that I was pretty darn pleased with myself when I finished it.

    By Blogger erica, at 4/30/2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home