slightly unravelled

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Bird Bag

Here's my attempt at making Amy Butler's weekender bag. I really love this fabric -- I used fabric from Joel Dewberry's Aviary collection for both the exterior and the piping/handles/lining.


amy butler weekender bag


The bag was pretty excruciating to make. I had read the warnings on other blogs and pattern reviews, but I still wasn't prepared for just how frustrating this bag was. The thing that makes it so tough is the combination of many layers, including the timtex (heavy-weight stabilizer), with having to get that piping on evenly, especially around the corners. I was pleased that my sewing machine handled the bulk just fine -- I didn't have any problems or even break any needles. However, I really struggled on those corners and there are plenty of noticeable flaws if you get close enough.

I added a couple of small pockets on the inside. I also reinforced the straps using the instructions from the Sophia bag -- stitching the strap to the bag along both edges and the x-shaped reinforcements; the instructions in this pattern sounded like they wouldn't make the straps secure enough. I took the bag on a trip where it carried very heavy things, and it held up great. I really enjoyed using it. If it looks a little misshapen in a few spots in the pictures, I think that's from the amount of abuse it took on the trip. A little steaming would probably pop it back into shape.

I went to the trouble of matching the pattern on the pocket to the main panel (can you tell)? I don't think it was at all necessary with this fabric, though, since the pattern isn't regular enough to make big difference. Good practice, though, I guess.

Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag

Amy butler weekender bag inside

2 Comments:

  • You made a great job of it - I have the weekender pattern sitting waiting on me to pluck up the courage!

    By Blogger ursy87, at 6/09/2008 12:12 PM  

  • I hope you don't mind, but I linked to this post of yours in my post about wanting to make this bag.
    http://www.alivicwil.com/?p=42

    Let me know if you have an issue with me using your words, and I'll remove it.

    Thanks!


    That's lovely Joel Dewberry fabric, btw! (I used some of his fabric to make my other Amy Butler bag.)

    By Blogger alivicwil, at 8/25/2009 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home