slightly unravelled

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Frogs!

I made this simple spring/summer dress using Butterick pattern B4443 and a Japanese cotton print.

Dress from Japanese frog print cotton

It was very easy to make, and I'm pleased with the results. If I make the pattern again, I'll make it smaller -- it's definitely too wide across the shoulders. The version on the cover looks like the skirt is not that full, so I had made a size larger than I normally would to have a fuller skirt, but it wasn't necessary.

Japanese cotton -- frog print


I LOVE this fabric. It's a Japanese cotton ( I ordered from Fabrictales -- despite the fact that the fabric actually ships from Japan, their shipping rates are very reasonable) with a cute frog print. I love that it's whimsical but manages to be subtle at the same time.


Finally, just a note -- it's much more flattering than it looks in the picture. You really need to see it in action, even slightly so, to really get a good sense of the shape. I was unable to capture it well in a photo. I think I need a photographer for these types of things...propping my camera on a surface, setting the timer, and trying to place myself in the picture just didn't work today. I guess my stiff arms and tense shoulders don't help either...

2 Comments:

  • It might be a little better if the camera was higher up, too. The hyper-perspective that comes from shooting so close is always difficult to overcome.

    Still, the side view in the mirror helps show off the good cut. I'm sure it's great.

    By Anonymous Ben, at 3/22/2008 7:59 PM  

  • Cute! Both the dress and the fabric.

    By Blogger schrodinger, at 3/23/2008 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home